If maintaining your garden is at the top of your list, then a rain barrel is just what you need. With so beautiful, elegant designs, rain barrels make the perfect addition to your backyard garden oasis. They also help you save money on water bills which is another added bonus.
What is a rain barrel?
Rain barrels collect the rain that falls off your roof allowing you to use this renewable resource to water your garden. Utilizing your home’s gutter system, a rain barrel connects to your downspout and provides a place to store and keep the rainwater. You can then reuse the rainwater to water your plants and flowers. Hundreds of gallons of water can run off your roof during heavy rainfalls and by using a rain barrel, you can reduce your municipal water usage by up to 40 percent.
Useful features of a rain barrel
Koolscapes rain barrels come with many great features that are useful for home owners and gardeners. Three different water outflow options provide flexibility for how to use the rainwater. You can use plastic tubing to connect multiple rain barrels together for extra storage, fill watering cans using a brass spigot, or attach a soaker or spray hose from the drain. These rain barrels also come with a removable debris/insect screen, which helps to keep your water clean. Made from corrosion-resistant recycled plastic, Koolscapes’ rain barrels can withstand harsh and extreme weather conditions making them long-lasting.
Benefits of using a rain barrel
Using a rain barrel is environmentally friendly and cost-effective. By collecting and reusing rainwater you can save on your water bill. Another advantage is that plants and flowers see added benefits from the rainwater. Unlike tap water, rainwater doesn’t have any chemicals or minerals in it and is better for gardens.
How to choose and install a rain barrel
- Select the rain barrel size based on how much water you plan to use.
- Choose the right location. Find a spot that is slightly elevated, as this will help increase the flow rate of your rain barrel and make it more efficient.
- Plan for overflow. Ensure you have something in place to direct the water, such as the overflow outlet or a second rain barrel.
After these initial steps, you’re ready to begin installing the rain barrel.
- Make sure your rain gutters and downspouts are clean and clear
- Assemble the rain barrel if required
- Prepare the area your rain barrel is going to sit by creating a sturdy spot where it won’t topple over
- Once you’ve placed your rain barrel, carefully position the downspout so it is directed to flow into the barrel
- Finally, direct the overflow so that it’s moving away from your house
Tips to using your rain barrel
- Keep your rain barrel clean by using it often. Use all the water within a week or two, or before the next rainfall.
- Remove your barrel and reposition your downspout if you aren’t going to be using it for a while, and especially during the winter months.
- Perform regular inspections to ensure that there aren’t any leaks or damages that prevent it from functioning properly.
With many benefits and great features, using a rain barrel is easy and efficient. Elevate your garden and help the planet by using water in a more environmentally friendly way.