Sweet, tangy, and nearly effortless, this homemade lemon meringue pie recipe is sure to impress!
You Will Need
- Pulse shortbread biscuits in the food processor or blender until they are crumbs. Add the butter and pulse until combined.
- Press the buttery crumb mixture into a 9-inch pie plate. Chill in freezer for 10-15 minutes or until firm.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, water, corn starch, egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium to medium-high, whisking constantly, until thickened to slightly thicker than pudding (up to 10-15 minutes).
- Remove filling from heat and stir in butter. Pour the hot filling into the crust. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using the whisk attachment on your stand mixer or a hand mixer, beat the egg whites in a scrupulously clean glass, metal, or ceramic bowl until foamy. Gradually add sugar, continuing to beat the mixture until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue evenly over the lemon filling, sealing the edges at the crust. Bake pie until meringue starts to lightly brown, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest on a wire rack for 1-2 hours, then refrigerate for 5-6 hours or overnight. Slice and serve cold.